82. Documentation for Johan Michael Frye
(08 Jan 1744/5 to 1815)
father of Elizabeth Frye
(30 Oct 1770 to Aft 1817 and Bef 1850)
Download Adobe Acrobat File - 82. Johan Michael Frye - (This file has the following text plus images.)
Johan Michael Frye was the son of Johan Valentine Frye and Anna Maria Barbara Binkley.(1) Johan Michael Frye was born January 8, 1744/45 in Muddy Creek, Pennsylvania.(YY) His father was born May 9, 1721 in Wingen, Alsace, France. His mother was born June 1, 1722, in Canton, Bern, Switzerland.
"Stokes County, North Carolina, was formed when Surry County was divided in 1789. The Stokes county seat was set at Germantown on 23 acres on Town Fork and Buffalo Creeks bought from Michael Frey and Henry Frey that lay on the Great Wagon Road. The thirty-eight town lots of a half-acre each sold immediately, and adjoining land owned by the Freys also sold quickly. The county seat was moved to Danbury on the formation of Forsyth County from Stokes County in 1849."(3)
Michael Frye married Anna Maria Dorothea Schmidt in Heidleberg, Pennsylvania in 1765.(4) Anna Maria Dorothea Schmidt was born in 1747 in Hiedleberg, Pennsylvania.
Michael Frye settled on South Fork Creek in 1765.
Michael Frye's religion was of the Reformed Church.
Michael Frye and Anna Maria Barbara Binkley were the parents of 10 children.(11)
1) Anna Barbara Elizabeth Frye born June 16, 1765, in Rowan Co., North Carolina and died March 15, 1851, in Stokes County, North Carolina. She married John Tuttle on June 16, 1783, in Surry County, North Carolina. He was born March 22, 1761, in Fairfax County, Virginia.
2) Anna Maria Frye born September 10, 1768
3) Elizabeth Frye born October 30, 1770
4) Sarah Frye born March 4, 1773
5) Catherina Frye born April 21, 1775
6) Johan Heinrich Frye born April 17, 1777
7) Martin FRYE born February 5, 1779 in Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania
8) Maria Margareth Frye born September 21, 1779
9) Johan Michael (II) Frye born July 15, 1782 in Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania
10) Johan Jacob (II) Frye born March 3, 1787
A brother of Michael Frye was Johann Heinrich Frye who was born January 14, 1750, in Pennsylvania and who died in Stokes County, North Carolina in 1802. He married Elisabeth Moser Morris in 1774. She was born in 1750. Henry Frye is listed in the Stokes County, North Carolina census records.
Another brother of Michael Frye was Johann Valentine Frye, Jr. He was born March 8, 1747/48, in Berks County, Pennsylvania.
Johan Michael Frye died in the vicinity of Germantown, Stokes, County, North Carolina in 1815.(TB) His date of death probably was March 26, 1815. His will probably was proved in June of 1815 or 1816.
i. Anna Barbara Elizabeth born June 16, 1765
ii. Anna Maria born September 10, 1768
iii. Elizabeth born October 30, 1770
iv. Sarah born March 4, 1773
v. Catherina born April 21, 1775
vi. Johan Heinrich born April 17, 1777
vii. Martin born February 5, 1779
viii. Maria Margareth born September 21, 1779
ix. Johan Michael II born July 15, 1782
x. Johan Jacob born March 3, 1787
3. Endnotes, number 1, page 37, (?NCGSJ? Month? Year?)
- from a Hist - Gen magazine at Greensboro Library
TB. "List of Dead in the Vicinity of Germantown, Stokes Co., NC, in 1815", Will proved Jun ___. 26 Mar 1815, Mich. FRY Snr., 27 Mrs. Fry, Filed in Stokes County records (Miscellaneous- #C.R. 090.928.10), NC State Archives.
1. Genealogical Records of Nantucket Families, William C. Folger, MS, 3 vols., Nantucket Historical Association, Nantucket, MA, vol. 3, p. 2,077.
2. "List of Dead in the Vicinity of Germantown, Stokes Co., NC, in 1815", Will proved Jun ___. 26 Mar 1815, Mich. FRY Snr., 27 Mrs. Fry, Filed in Stokes County records (Miscellaneous- #C.R. 090.928.10), NC State Archives.
3. Endnotes, number 1, page 37, (?NCGSJ? Month? Year?)
- from a Hist - Gen magazine at Greensboro Library
4. Genealogical Records of Nantucket Families, Folger, vol. 3, p. 2,077.
5. Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, William Wade Hinshaw, (1936, rpt, Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Company, 1969), Page: 1:846.
6. Nantucket, Mass., Vital Records to 1850, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 5 vols. Boston, 1925-28, page 2:622.
7. Randolph Co., N. C., (Original) wills, 1775-1899, North Carolina State Archives (Joseph Worth); "Joseph and Lydia (Gorham) Worth of Nantucket, Massachusetts, and Their Wandering Children", Elizabeth Pearson White, C.G, F.A.S.G, F.N.G.S., and Edwin W. Coles, National Genealogical Society Quarterly, 76 (December 1988), pp. 268-288; Genealogy Division of the Indiana State Library, A Genealogical History of the Clark and Worth Families, Carol Clark Johnson, privately printed, 1970; John Howland of the Mayflower, Volume 1, by Elizabeth Pearson White, Picton Press, Rockport, Maine.
8. Starbuck, Alexander. The History of Nantucket, County, Island and Town. 1969; rept. Rutland, Vt., 1976, p. 828; Sallie W. Stockard, Hist. Of Guilford County, North Carolina (Knoxville, Tenn. 1902), 193.
9. Randolph Co., N. C., (Original) wills, 1775-1899, North Carolina State Archives (Joseph Worth).
10. Raleigh Register, Raleigh, NC, November 11, 1830, obituary for Judith Worth; Nantucket VR 5:615, but gives date newspaper was published instead of actual date of death; NEHGR 100:286.
11. Title: "Sparger Family History", by Wm. Murlin Creasy, abt. 1935, listing sources of Heidelberg, PA Congregational Record, & Congregation of Friedberg, NC Rc.
Genealogical Records of Nantucket Families, Folger, vol. 3, p. 2,077; Letter from John Worth (New Ross, Indiana) to Hiram C. Worth (Greensboro, North Carolina), 1 February 1886. Original letter at Hege Library, Friends Historical Collection, Guilford College, Greensboro, NC. Transcript of letter dated January 1915, made from original letter on loan from Laura D. Worth of Guilford College to Herbert Folger, California Mayflower Society Historian. A copy of the transcript was in the lineage documents of Arlie L. Rigsbee, General Number 4071, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, Massachusetts.
12. North Carolina Division of Archives and History, Surry County Deeds, 14:64, microfilm copy.
13. U. S. Census of North Carolina, 1810, Surry County, unknown townships.
14. North Carolina Division of Archives and History, Surry County tax list, 1815, microfilm copy.
15. Randolph County, NC Genealogical Journal, Volume XXVII, No. 1, Spring 2003, Presentment May 1819 of Levi Worth, Charles Worth bound surety for Levi Worth, p. 23.
16. U. S. Census of North Carolina, 1820.
17. General Index to Real Estate Conveyances, Etc., Randolph County - Grantees, Book 14, Page 398, John Reese to Charles Worth, 121 acres, 1822; Randolph County Grantees, Book 16, Page 56, John Reese to Charles Worth, 440 acres, 1822.
18. General Index to Real Estate Conveyances, Etc., Randolph County - Grantors, Book 16, Page 34, Charles Worth to Thomas Hancock, 121 acres, 1823; Randolph County Grantors, Book 16, Page 41, Charles Worth to Jonathan Lewallen, 440 acres, 1824.
19. The Genealogical Journal, Vol. VII, No. 3, 1983, Randolph County Marriage Bonds, Bride Index, W's, 13 November 1818, Lydia Worth and John Rigsby, Paskel Cole bondsman, p. 41.
20. Ibid. 1 January 1822, Rachel Worth and Joshua Rigsby, Lancy Moore bondsman, p. 42.
21. Ibid. 19 December 1824, Elizabeth Worth and David German, William German bondsman, p. 41.
22. Hinton Rowan Helper, The Impending Crisis of the South: How to Meet It, New York: Burdick Brothers, 1857, p. 305; Hinshaw, vol. 1, pp 488 and 773.
23. U. S. Census for Indiana, 1840, Rush County.
24. U. S. Census of Indiana, 1840, Rush County, Jackson township, p. 399, Charles Worth 0000000001-000010001 (next line after Seth Worth).
25. U. S. Census for Indiana, 1840, Rush County, Jackson Township, p. 399, Charles Worth household.
26. U.S. Census of Indiana, 1850, Davies County, Van Buren Township, p. 187, (Note: Charles was listed as part of the Seth Worth household.)
27. Letter from John Worth (New Ross, Indiana) to Hiram C. Worth (Greensboro, North Carolina), 1 February 1886. Original letter at Hege Library, Friends Historical Collection, Guilford College, Greensboro, NC. Transcript of letter dated January 1915, made from original letter on loan from Laura D. Worth of Guilford College to Herbert Folger, California Mayflower Society Historian. A copy of the transcript was in the lineage documents of Arlie L. Rigsbee, General Number 4071, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, Massachusetts.
28. Gravestone Inscription, Hiram Coffin Worth, 8/22/1886, New Garden (Cemetery), b. Apr. 8, 1809. The New Garden Cemetery is at Guilford College in Greensboro, North Carolina.
29. Laura Delphina Worth obituary, Guilford newspaper, January 17, 1945; U. S. Census of North Carolina, 1850, Guilford County, dwelling 27, family 27, Hiram C. Worth, age 41, carpenter; Gravestone Inscription, Hiram Coffin Worth, 8/22/1886, New Garden (Cemetery), b. Apr. 8, 1809; Laura Delphina Worth was a daughter of Daniel and Eunice Worth. Daniel Worth was a son of Hiram Coffin Worth.
30. North Carolina Friends Historical Society Newsletter, Fall 2003, No. 14, The Meaning of L. D. W., pp. 3-4; Hinshaw, William Wade. Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy. 6 vols. 1936; rept. Baltimore, 1969, Vol. 1, Forward, p. vi; Laura Delphina Worth obituary, Guilford newspaper, January 17, 1945.
32. Laura Delphina Worth obituary, Guilford newspaper, January 17, 1945; tombstone photograph taken Monday, March 8, 2004, by Curtis L. Older at New Garden Cemetery adjacent to Guilford College, Greensboro, North Carolina. Tombstone of Laura D. Worth includes the words, "Quaker Genealogist".
Source of the following info:
Hans Peter Frey was born in 1689 in Wingen, Alsace, near Zurich, Switzerland. He immigrated to America in 1733 on the ship Samuel and settled in East Cocalico Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, later moving with most of their children to Heidelberg Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania. Peter and Christian moved to North Carolina in the 1750's. Hans was the first person interred in the new graveyard at Friedberg Moravian Church.
Brother of Michael Frye:
Heinrich4 Frey (JOHANN VALENTIN3, HANS PETER2, JOHANN JACOB1) was born 1751. He married (1) Sarah Klein. He married (2) Elizabeth Morris.
Children of Heinrich Frey and Sarah Klein are:
i. Petrus5 FREY, b. 1775.
ii. Maria Sarah FREY, b. 1776.
Children of HEINRICH FREY and Elizabeth Morris are:
iii. Johannes5 FREY, b. 1780; d. 1854; m. MARGARET EVANS.
Notes for JOHANNES FREY:
moved to Giles Co.Tn
iv. ANNA MARIA FREY, b. 1783.
v. LEWIS FREY, b. 1785; m. ELISABETH BLUM.
12. vi. JESSE FREY, b. 1787.
vii. MICHAEL FREY.
viii. HENRY FREY, m. MARGARET PETREE.
ix. BETSY FREY.
x. PATSY FREY.
Johann Heinrich Frey -- Born ca. 1589 and died before 1637. Married Anna Hon on an unknown date. Parents: Unknown Children: Gregorius (Aug. 1610-Mar. 10, 1687) married Verena Oberborfer
Gregorius Frey -- Born in Aug. 1610: died March 10, 1687. Married 1) Elisbeth Ringer in 1633 2) Verena Oberborfer Feb. 7, 1637. Parents: Johann Heinrich Frey and Anna Hon. Children: Johann Jacob (1659-Sep. 12, 1705) married Anna Maria Schaub
Johann Jacob Frey -- Born in 1659 in Bas-Rhin, Wingen, Alsace, France: died Sep. 12, 1705, in Wingen, Alsace. Married 1) Anna Catharina Rummel 2) Anna Maria Schaub Oct. 21, 1688. Parents: Gregorius Frey and Verena Oberborfer Children: Johann Peter (Sep. 27, 1689-May 4, 1766) married Judica Anna Barbara Schmidt
Johann (Hans) Peter Frey -- Born Sep. 27, 1689, in Wingen, Alsace, France: died May 4, 1766, in Friedberg, Rowan Co., NC. Married Judica Anna Barbara Schmidt (d.1768) on Feb. 18, 1716, in Wingen, Alsace, France (near Zurich, Switzerland), daughter of Theobald Schmidt and Anna Maria Schleber. Parents: Johann Jacob Frey and Anna Maria Schaub Children: Johann Valentine (May 9, 1721-Sep. 13, 1798) married Anna Maria Barbara Binckele
Johann Valentine Frey, Sr. -- Born May 9, 1721, in Wingen, Alsace, France: died Sep. 13, 1798 in Hope, Stokes Co. NC. Married Anna Maria Barbara Binckele Apr. 29, 1742, in East Cocalico Township, Lancaster Co., PA.. Parents: Johann Peter Frey and Judica Anna Barbara Schmidt Children: Johann Michael, Sr. (Jan. 8, 1745-Mar. 26, 1815 married Anna Maria Dorothea Schmidt
Johann Michael Frey, Sr. -- Born Jan. 8, 1745, in Muddy Creek, Berks County, PA: died Mar. 26, 1815, in Germanton, Stokes Co, NC. Married Anna Maria Dorothea Schmidt in 1765 in Heidelberg Township, Berks Co., PA. Parents: Johann Valentine Frey, Sr. and Anna Maria Barbara Binckele Children: Catharina (b.Apr. 21, 1775) married Anthony Hinckle
Catharina Frey -- Born Apr. 21, 1775: died on an unknown date. Married Anthony Hinckle, date unknown. Parents: Johann Michael Frey, Sr. and Anna Maria Dorothea Schmidt Children: Mary D. Hinkle (b. unknown) married Jacob B. Binkley, date unknown
Theobald Schmidt --Born ca.1610 or earlier probably in Wingen, Alsace, France: died after ca.1640. Married Margaretha (?). Parents: unknown Children: Hans Diebolt Schmidt (ca.1630-1702) married Anna Maria Schlaben before 1696
Hans Diebolt Schmidt -- (alias Hans Theobold Schmidt) Born ca.1630 in Wingen, Alsace, France: died Dec. 31, 1702. Married Anna Maria Schlaben before 1696. Parents: Theobald and Margretha Schmidt Children: Judica Anna Barbara Schmidt (1696-1768) married Johann Peter Frey on Feb. 18, 1716.
Judica Anna Barbara Schmidt (Frey) -- Born Apr. 5, 1696, in Wingen, Alsace, Germany: died Jan. 9, 1768, in Bethania, Rowan Co., NC. Married Johann Peter Frey on Feb. 18, 1716. Parents: Hans Diebolt Schmidt and Anna Maria Schlaben Children: Johann Valentine Frey (May 9, 1721-Sept. 13, 1798) married Anna Maria Barbara Binckele
Jacob B. Binkley -- Born March 20, 1796 in NC: died 1865 in TN. Married Mary D. Hinkle, date unknown. Parents: Unknown Children Anthony Thomas (Nov. 23, 1824-Aug. 25, 1910) married Sarah Jane Rawls Jacob Henderson (according to the "Binkleys and More" website)
Anthony Thomas Binkley -- Born Nov. 23, 1824 in TN: died Aug. 25, 1910. Married Sarah Jane Rawls on Jan. 1, 1848. Parents: Jacob Binkley and Mary D. Hinkle Children: Martha J. (b. Jan. 8, 1849) John Garrison (b. Apr. 6, 1850) Mary Melvina (b. June 27, 1851) Sarah E. (b. Oct. 11, 1852) A. Frances (b. July 18, 1855) Anna Elizabeth. (1857-1930) married William Henry Horton ca. 1877 Rosa P. (b. Feb. 18, 1859) Wealthy D. (b. Nov.: 2, 1860) Susan R. (b. Apr. 28, 1862) L. Emiline (b. July 27, 1864) Hulda E. (b. Apr. 29, 1866) Janie Ellen (b. Feb. 29, 1868) Geneva C. (b. Mar. 1870)
Anna Elizabeth Binkley -- Born Aug.6, 1857 in TN: died Feb. 11, 1930. Married William Henry Horton ca. 1877. Parents: Anthony Thomas Binkley and Sarah Jane Rawls Children: Leona (Jan.12, 1885-Oct. 2, 1961) married Mr. Pentecost Maggie (Feb.2, 1887-Feb. 22, 1971) married George Cates Watts Willie (Mar.1, 1889-July 27, 1915) Charles Henry (Apr.12, 1891-Feb 20, 1958) Susie R. (Nov. 27, 1898-Mar. 9, 1976) married Mr. Felts Hugo "Shorty" (Jan.15, 1901-Aug. 22, 1966) John Callie Allie (twin to Callie, d. Oct. 17, 1964) Georgia (d. Sept. 30, 19??) married Felix Allen